HomeBible Study Discussions >

Bible Study Discussions with Gary Panell

Question: Where can I read in the Bible about the sea called forgetfulness?

Answer: We have had many questions like this since I inadvertently left out the reference, when I mentioned this as being in the Bible. So here is the verse: "Who is a God like You, pardoning iniquity and passing over the transgression of the remnant of His heritage? He does not retain His anger forever, because He delights in mercy. He will again have compassion on us, and will subdue our iniquities. You will cast all our sins into the depths of the sea." (Micah 7:18-19)

It does not actually us the word "forgetfulness," but this is where the idea comes from.

Someone even asked if God can forget about our sins. My answer is, yes, this is the reason He casts them into the depths of the sea! He chooses to forgive and forget. Yes, it is a figure of speech, because obviously, you can't take sins and put them anywhere. However, the point God is making is that He forgives and forgets. We need to forget the past when we get saved and move on. We should not go back 'fishing up' past sins of our own or our spouses.

This theme of forgiveness is all through the Bible in the Old and New Testament. It is interesting to note that no other religion, not even Islam has this, where God can forgive sins. In Judaism and Christianity we admit we have sinned, and ask God to forgive us. We as Christians know that this forgiveness of sins can only come through the sacrifice of Christ, God's Son on the cross. Our pardon comes only through the blood of Christ!

When we are forgiven we have these promises in the Old and New Testaments that our sins are gone. There is even a Christian song we sing. "Gone, Gone, Gone, Gone, Yes, my sins are gone. Now my soul is free and in my heart 's a song, buried in the deepest sea. Yes, that's good enough for me. Now I'll live eternally, praise God, my sins are G-O-N-E, Gone!!!"

Have you received Jesus as your Lord and Savior, if you have you can know for sure your sins are gone. It doesn't matter what religion you are in now, if you repent (turn from your sins) and ask Christ to come into your heart and life He will save you, and take away your sins. [Look at our tract What Does It Mean to Be Born Again? or What Happened to Shorty?]

Here are more Old Testament verses on the same theme of forgiveness of sins: "As far as the east is from the west, so far has He removed our transgressions [sins] from us." (Psalm 103:12) "Come now, and let us reason together, says the LORD, though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red like crimson, they shall be as wool."

Here are some verses from the New Testament: "If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." (1 John 1:9) "These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, that you may know that you have eternal life, and that you may continue to believe in the name of the Son of God." (1 John 5:13) [For more on this look at our Romans Bible Study.]

In Christian love,

Gary T. Panell

For more information email me.

To view other questions visit our Interactive Bible Study Page or read some of our Christian Literature at Bible-Christian.org

Bookmark and Share

Please feel free to contact Bible Christian:

Gary Tomás Panell
1211 Pollock Avenue
Zillah, Washington 98953

© 2003-2014 by Gary T. Panell

The articles on this website may be freely copied and distributed. Source credit with a link to bible-christian.org would be appreciated.

Keywords: sin, forgiveness, sea, forgetfulness, forgive, forget