Bible Study Discussions with Gary Panell
Question: I am a Christian teenager. I've believed that Jesus is my Savior with all my heart for my entire life. But there has been something bothering me for a while now. I go to a Christian school and I've found a girl I like very much, and I just went on my first date with her. But when I think about the future I worry about if I'll fall into sexual immorality. I'm the kind of guy who likes to follow guidelines, but I can't find anything that really defines how deep Christ's command on [abstaining] from immorality is. Can you tell me, or where I could find, how deep Christ's definition goes?
Answer: Thank you for your questions, I'm sure that many other Christian teenagers are asking these same questions. I think it is very commendable of you to be thinking the way you are thinking.
You need to remember this verse and even memorize it: 2 Timothy 2:22 "Flee also youthful lusts; but pursue righteousness, faith, love, peace with those who call on the Lord out of a pure heart."
1. Check to see if she is a Christian. You need to know this for sure, what is the point of dating someone who is not really going to be someone you can marry, since Christians can only marry other Christians. (2 Corinthians 6:14)
2. Pray before and after your date. If this girl is really in love with Jesus she will be glad to do this with you.
3. Double date or go in groups. Don't ever be alone together, but be with other people all the time.
4. Go to a good Bible believing church and get active in their youth group together.
5. Make sure both of you are having devotions each day. Have devotions together sometimes.
6. Never be lusting after her or other girls. Jesus said, "But I say to you that whoever looks at a woman to lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart." (Matthew 5:28)
7. Keep hugging and kissing to a minimum. Keep hands away from the bikini line.
8. Find a Christian brother who could hold you accountable. This should be a mature Christian with whom you can confide.
Another answer that I have on this discussion page, which goes into more detail is: Christian dating, courting, and struggles with lust. You will want to read this answer as well. We will be praying for you, as you look for God's best for you in your life!
Your brother and sister in Christ,
Gary and Marlene Panell
For more information e-mail me atTo view other questions visit our Interactive Bible Study Page or read some of our Christian Literature at Bible-Christian.org
Please feel free to contact Bible Christian:
Gary Tomás Panell
© 2005-2009 by Gary T. Panell
The articles on this website may be freely copied and distributed. Source credit with a link to bible-christian.org would be appreciated.
Keywords: dating, courting, lust, love, abstain