Pence moves in, Rainbow flags come out
December 05, 2016
- Activists have mobilized to protest his move onto their street in the Northwest Washington, D.C. neighborhood by hanging rainbow flags outside their homes to express “solidarity” with gay, lesbian, transgender, bi-sexual and queer communities.
- According to a report by The Daily Caller at least 10 rainbow flags now hang from homes on the street where in a few days Pence will arrive. He moved a few things into the home during Thanksgiving week, according to neighbors. He will live there until his inauguration as Vice President.
- Pence could have chosen to live anywhere in the Washington metropolitan area, including the pricey and exclusive Georgetown or Old Town Alexandria neighborhoods or he could have chosen posh Potomac, Maryland, outside of the nation’s capital with many 12,000 square-foot mansions on large estate lots.
- Instead, the Vice President-elect chose to rent a modest 2,500 square foot home that sits 30 feet from his next door neighbor in a relatively unknown community called Barnaby Woods, a racially and ethnically diverse neighborhood that’s also home to many gays and lesbians.
- His block also has heavy Democratic representation with activists like Peter Fenn, the national Democratic political consultant, Michael Zeldin, a Barack Obama surrogate in the 2008 and 2012 presidential campaigns. Across the street from Pence’s temporary abode is Secretary of Health and Human Services Sylvia Burwell.
- The flag protest organizers initially claimed they wanted a “dialog” with Pence, and they don’t view their “in-your-face” flags as counter to a conversation. Organizer of the silent protest Joanna Pratt told The DCNF that it’s a way to blow off steam, “We’ve gone through the various stages of grief. We cried. We yelled. Then we sort of felt, that we’d really like to do something,” she said. “We do not see it as a statement of hatred. We do not see it as a statement of meanness, it’s about tolerance,” she said.
- Phil Kerpen, president of the conservative activist group American Commitment, lives in the neighborhood and thinks the protest has nothing to do with tolerance.
Article by The Daily Caller / TRUNEWS summary.
– See more at: http://www.trunews.com/article/pence-moves-in-rainbow-flags-come-out#sthash.Cuqpd6Rn.dpuf