Kathy Griffin Apologizes For Trump Beheading Amid Backlash
May 31, 2017
On Tuesday night Comedian Kathy Griffin apologized for participating in a mock beheading photo shoot where she held what appeared to be the bloody severed head of President Trump
(VERO BEACH, FL) “I am sorry. I went too far. I was wrong,” she wrote as the caption for the video she posted to Twitter. Griffin faced severe backlash for the photo, which was leaked to TMZ earlier Tuesday.
“I’m just now seeing the reaction to this,” Griffin began in the accompanying video.
“I’m a comic, I crossed the line…I went way too far,” she said. “The image is too disturbing. I understand how it offends people. It wasn’t funny.”
“I’ve made a lot of mistakes in my career. I will continue. I ask your forgiveness,” she continued. “Gonna ask the photographer to take down the image. I beg for your forgiveness.”
Twitter exploded with criticism when the photo was first leaked, even including Chelsea Clinton, who said, “It is never funny to joke about killing a president.”
Route 66 Casino in Albuquerque, New Mexico announced on twitter yesterday afternoon that a July 22nd performance by Kathy Griffin had been cancelled, and The Mirage Las Vegas, a regular venue for top comedians, said the incident “clearly crosses the line of respect and decency” and that MGM Resorts has no future shows scheduled with Ms. Griffin.
Toilet stool company Squatty Potty also announced they had pulled all marketing related to Kathy Griffin, noting on their verified twitter account: “We do not align with her views or actions.”
And CNN, the media company which hired Ms. Griffin to co-host the 2016 New Year’s Eve show with anchor Anderson Cooper, released a statement through senior media and politics reporter Dylan Byers saying the network found what she did to be “disgusting and offensive” and noted they were “evaluating” their New Year’s Eve Coverage for 2017.
– See more at: http://www.trunews.com/article/kathy-griffin-apologizes-for-trump-beheading-amid-backlash#sthash.3CFDBbJQ.dpuf