Unprecedented Target sale spurred by boycott
The unprecedented storewide 10-percent discount on everything in its stores and online was announced by the pro-LGBT corporation in an effort to bring in more back-to-school purchases and boost shopper traffic on Sunday.
The boycott against Target – spurred by American Family Association and other pro-family groups that has rallied together many conservatives across America – is calling for the retailer to abandon its aggressive transgender bathroom policy. Many critics say it puts women and children at risk of being victimized by male sexual predators masquerading to be women.
At no other time in Target’s history has if offered such an extensive discount in its stores and on its website, but executives are desperate to rebound from the store’s first quarterly traffic decline in more than two years – a decline that was just reported last week.
“Target’s same-store transactions – which is how traffic is measured – fell 2.2 percent in the second quarter,” the Business Insider reports. “Overall, sales fell 7.2 percent to $16.2 billion.”
Target CEO Brian Cornell aired his concerns to market analysts last week.
“In the second quarter, our number one challenge was traffic, which affected sales in all of our merchandise categories,” the top executive of the Minneapolis, Minnesota-based chain expressed.
Threat still exists
Coming months after Target’s pro-LGBT bridal publication cover – emblazoned with two males getting married – upset many conservatives, the progressive retailer rose more concern for those championing family values when it announced its new restroom policy this spring, which welcomes shoppers to use whatever facility or fitting room that corresponds with their self-proclaimed gender identity.
When pro-family organizations and individuals brought up their safety concerns – that that Target’s policy makes women and children vulnerable to be victimized by sexual predators inside the stores’ restrooms – the company refused to budge. As a result, more than 1.4 million people signed a pledge – organized by pro-family groups including AFA – to boycott and sign a pledge to longer shop at Target until it does away with its policy geared to accommodate the LGBT community … an not traditional families.
In an attempt to appease critics and win back some business, Target recently announced plans for what AFA calls a “diversionary tactic,” where the retailer is investing $20 million to install single-occupancy restrooms in each of its stores. However, most concerned Americans are convinced that such a gesture does little to nothing make Target’s facilities safer.
Skirting the issue
AFA maintains that the construction of single-occupancy restrooms does not address apprehension over predators who can still use facilities and dressing rooms of their choice. In fact, AFA Spokesman Walker Wildmon contends that Target is using “deceptive” language to try and assure existing and potential customers that it has reconciled or solved the problem.
“Back in May, Target publicized and told us personally … that they were adding single-stall restrooms to the rest of their stores,” Wildmon pointed out earlier this week. “We told them when we met with them that this does not address our main concern because their policy still allows men access to women’s restrooms and changing rooms.”
Even though Wildmon considers the single-occupancy, unisex restrooms a step in the right direction, he still contends that if Target continues to not offer gender-specific bathrooms and dressing rooms, the store chain has not truly addressed AFA’s chief concern in the issue.
“Adding more bathrooms isn’t the solution,” AFA announced in its Action Alert on Monday. “Not allowing men in women’s facilities is the solution.”
Informing Target about the perpetuating problem still existing inside its restrooms and changing rooms, AFA President Tim Wildmon wrote Cornell in a letter on Monday, reminding him of his organization’s boycott against the retail chain, which Walker Wildmon pointed out below:
“We address our main safety concerns with Target – and that is that their policy right now allows men access to women’s changing facilities and restrooms,” the conservative spokesman noted. “Right now, with Target’s policy, men can simply say they feel like a woman today and they can access the same changing rooms as our wives and daughters.”
Justifying AFA’s fears over the matter, conservative news outlets WND and Breitbart have reported on a number of incidents of alleged voyeurism and “Peeping Toms” inside Target restrooms – spanning several states.
AFA insists that it believes voyeurs and sexual predators are the ones who pose a threat – not necessarily transgenders – a fact it clearly expressed to Target’s CEO.
“From the beginning of this boycott, we’ve always stated that we don’t believe transgender individuals are necessarily a threat or a safety concern,” Walker Wildmon stressed. “It’s sexual predators and voyeurs who will take advantage of this policy to gain access to their victims.”
We moderate all reader comments, usually within 24 hours of posting (longer on weekends). Please limit your comment to 300 words or less and