22 Dead After Suicide Bombing at Ariana Grande Concert
May 23, 2017
(MANCHESTER, ENGLAND) Prime Minister Theresa May called the act targeting children and young people “sickening”, and said police believed they knew the identity of the bomber.
Police have also arrested a 23-year-old man in connection with the attack carried out late on Monday evening as people began leaving a concert given by Ariana Grande, a U.S. singer who attracts a large number of young and teenage fans.
“All acts of terrorism are cowardly…but this attack stands out for its appalling sickening cowardice, deliberately targeting innocent, defenseless children and young people who should have been enjoying one of the most memorable nights of their lives,” May said outside her Downing Street office in London.
“The attempt to divide us met countless acts of kindness that brought people closer together.”
The northern English city remained on high alert. A Reuters witnesses said they heard a “big bang” at Manchester’s Arndale shopping mall and saw people running from the building. Police said they were dealing with an incident inside. The shopping center reopened soon afterward, a Reuters witness said.
London Mayor Sadiq Khan said more police had been ordered onto the streets of the British capital.
Monday’s attack was the deadliest in Britain since four British Muslims killed 52 people in suicide bombings on London’s transport system in 2005. But it will have reverberations far beyond British shores.
Attacks in cities including Paris, Nice, Brussels, St Petersburg, Berlin and London have shocked Europeans already anxious over security challenges from mass immigration and pockets of domestic Islamist radicalism. The Islamic State militant group has called for attacks as retaliation for Western involvement in the conflicts in Syria and Iraq.
Witnesses related the horror of the Manchester blast, which unleashed a stampede just as the concert ended at what is Europe’s largest indoor arena, full to a capacity of 21,000.
“We ran and people were screaming around us and pushing on the stairs to go outside and people were falling down, girls were crying, and we saw these women being treated by paramedics having open wounds on their legs … it was just chaos,” said Sebastian Diaz, 19. “It was literally just a minute after it ended, the lights came on and the bomb went off.”
U.S. President Donald Trump described the attack as the work of “evil losers”. German Chancellor Angela Merkel said it “will only strengthen our resolve to…work with our British friends against those who plan and carry out such inhumane deeds.”
A source with knowledge of the situation said the bomber’s explosives were packed with metal and bolts. At least 19 of those wounded were in a critical condition, the source said.
A video posted on Twitter showed fans, many of them young, screaming and running from the venue. Dozens of parents frantically searched for their children, posting photos and pleading for information on social media.
“We were making our way out and when we were right by the door there was a massive explosion and everybody was screaming,” concert-goer Catherine Macfarlane told Reuters.
“It was a huge explosion – you could feel it in your chest.”
Singer Ariana Grande, 23, said on Twitter: “broken. from the bottom of my heart, i am so so sorry. i don’t have words.”
May, who faces an election in two-and-a-half weeks, said her thoughts were with the victims and their families. She and Jeremy Corbyn, the leader of the opposition Labour Party, agreed to suspend campaigning ahead of the June 8 vote.
Sebastian Gorka, a national security advisor to President Donald Trump, noticed an eerie connection between Monday night’s suicide bombing in Manchester and the public slaughter of British soldier Lee Rigby.
Both incidents, he noted, happened on the same date four years apart.
“Dates matter to Jihadi terrorists,” Gorka tweeted.
Prior to Monday night’s attack, pro-Islamic State accounts called upon followers to “hunt your prey” according to SITE Intelligence Group.
The accounts provided information on U.K. community centers, government buildings and tourist areas, according to SITE Director Rita Katz. No group has claimed responsibility for the attack. However, ISIS accounts have celebrated the incident on social media. British counter-terrorism authorities are reportedly treating the event as a “possible terrorist incident.”
Reuters reporting, TRUNEWS contribution
Please contact TRUNEWS correspondent Edward Szall with any news tips related to this story.
Email: [email protected] | Twitter: @realEdwardSzall
DOWNLOAD THE TRUNEWS MOBILE APP on Apple and Google Play!
– See more at: http://www.trunews.com/article/19-dead-after-terror-bombing-at-ariana-grande-concert#sthash.ujHsmADw.dpuf
Leave a Reply