Trump may deploy US troops to Kuwait as backup against ISIS
March 09, 2017
The Trump administration may deploy up to 1,000 US troops to Kuwait as a reserve force in the fight against ISIS
(WASHINGTON, DC) U.S. President Donald Trump’s administration is weighing a deployment of up to 1,000 American soldiers to Kuwait to serve as a reserve force in the fight against Islamic State as U.S.-backed fighters accelerate the offensive in Syria and Iraq, U.S. officials told Reuters.
Proponents of the option, which has not been previously reported, said it would provide U.S. commanders on the ground greater flexibility to quickly respond to unforeseen opportunities and challenges on the battlefield.
It would also represent a step away from standard practices under President Barack Obama’s administration by leaving the ultimate decision on whether to deploy some of those Kuwait-based reserve forces in Syria or Iraq to local commanders.
“This is about providing options,” said one U.S. official, who spoke on condition of anonymity.
The officials said the deployment would differ from the existing U.S. troop presence in Kuwait.
It was unclear whether the proposal had the support of U.S. Defense Secretary Jim Mattis, who could opt to use other tools to give commanders more agility.
Pentagon spokesman Captain Jeff Davis declined to comment on options being weighed by the Trump administration.
The decision on whether to create a more rapidly deployable Kuwait-based force is part of the ongoing review of the United States’ strategy to defeat Islamic State in Iraq and Syria, where around 6,000 U.S. troops are deployed, largely in advisory roles, the officials said.
– See more at: http://www.trunews.com/article/trump-may-deploy-us-troops-to-kuwait-as-backup-against-isis#sthash.H1017pBS.dpuf