New World Order Wants to Sign the TTIP Deal Now
September 16, 2016
Ministers from 12 EU countries have written to the bloc’s trade chief to back a planned trade accord with the United States, declaring clear support for negotiations that have divided opinion on both sides of the Atlantic.
- Brussels and Washington have officially committed to sealing the Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership (TTIP) before U.S. President Barack Obama leaves office in January.
- But France cast serious doubt on TTIP last month, with its trade minister calling for a suspension of talks.
- Days earlier, German Economy Minister Sigmar Gabriel said TTIP had “de facto failed”, though Chancellor Angela Merkel has expressed her backing. [nL8N1BB0ZA]
- Ministers responsible for trade from Italy, Spain and Britain were among the 12 who signed the letter to EU Trade Commissioner Cecilia Malmstrom in support of the deal.
- They said TTIP was an opportunity to shape modern trade rules and should be fully seized, according to the letter dated Sept. 14 and released by the Commission.
- “We look forward to the continuation of the TTIP negotiations …and to working closely with the Commission in the coming months,” they said.
UPCOMING POPULIST ELECTIONS HAVE DERAILED SOME TTIP PLANS
Observers say politicians there are responding to public mistrust of a deal that critics say would lower environmental and food standards and allow foreign multinationals to challenge government policies.
The 12 ministers also expressed support for the Comprehensive Economic and Trade Agreement (CETA) that the EU has already struck with Canada.
They said they looked forward to the signing of CETA in Brussels on Oct. 27, prior to full ratification by member states’ parliaments.
“We must push for a trade policy that also stands up for workers’ rights, the environment, people’s health and our democratic space,” they said, in a nod towards critics.
Contributed by Philip Blenkinsop; editing by John Stonestreet – REUTERS
Article by Doc Burkhart, Vice-President, General Manager and co-host of TRUNEWS with Rick Wiles.
Got a news tip? Email us at [email protected]
Help support the ministry of TRUNEWS with your one-time or monthly gift of financial support. DONATE NOW!
DOWNLOAD THE TRUNEWS MOBILE APP! CLICK HERE!
– See more at: http://www.trunews.com/article/new-world-order-wants-to-sign-the-ttip-deal-now#sthash.GglWKayb.dpuf
Leave a Reply