Report: It will be Trump and Pence
An Indiana newspaper says it has confirmed Governor Mike Pence has dropped his plans to run for re-election so he can run as Donald Trump’s running mate.
While the Trump campaign claims “a decision has not been made,” the IndyStar reports it has confirmed Trump will formally announce Pence as his choice for the GOP ticket tomorrow (Friday) morning in Manhattan. The Hill also cites a source reporting the same.
Pence has until noon Friday to announce whether he would be running for a second term as Indiana’s governor. If elected as Trump’s VP, he would be the first vice president from the Hoosier State since Dan Quayle took office in 1989 under George H.W. Bush.
The 57-year-old governor served 12 years in Congress before returning to Indiana in 2012. While representing the state in the House of Representatives he rose to the #3 post among the GOP leadership.
Several conservative and evangelical leaders have said Pence would be an excellent running mate for Trump.
Pence’s name is absent from the list of convention speakers – but others who had been under consideration appear on the list.
Leave a Reply